I have been a recipient of complementary therapies, in particular reflexology, for over 15 years and found it has been a great source of support for a busy lifestyle. Corporate work of sometimes up to 70 hours a week, led me to address much needed changes in my lifestyle. So in 2005, I retrained in the field where I saw so much benefit myself.
I have had the experience of mental health challenges & what can help to move forward. It enables me to relate on many levels with clients managing their own mental wellness. Being from a sport & science background also strengthens my interest in physical well-being aspects. I also have experienced the cancer journey with close friends and family and have assisted with treatment support.
My therapy work is complemented by the knowledge gained in having worked for the Mental Health Education & Resource Centre here in Christchurch, and as a Peer Support Worker for Bipolar Support Canterbury and Mental Health Advocacy and Peer Support (MHAPS). I am able to assist you in navigating the health service options in Christchurch and have a great network of people that I can make referrals to also.
I am passionate about facilitating and enjoy opportunities to deliver sessions on both Wellness Recovery Action Planning (WRAP) and Intentional Peer Support. I also enjoy delivering a consumer perspective on the mental health journey for groups, drawing on my experience supported by complementary therapies.
In 2010, I contributed to the book Caught Between Sunshine & Shadows about New Zealanders living with bipolar disorder.
I am from Christchurch but have worked throughout New Zealand and in the United Kingdom. I have been fortunate to have travelled fairly extensively and had many adventures! When not spending wonderful times with friends and family, you might see me cruising in my 1969 Kombi van. I also spend my time enjoying all things musical, in my garden and walking by the beach.
Memberships and Qualifications
- Diploma in Reflexology & Relaxation Massage (Canterbury College of Natural Medicine) – 2006
- Reiki Levels I & II – 2005 – Master Cathy Cremen
- Ayurvedic Reflexology (SMART Level 1) – 2005 – Sharon Stathis
- TCM with Reflexology – 2009 – Sue Ehinger
- Practitioner Certificate in Indian Head Massage 2012 (NZ School of IHM)
- Gawler Cancer Healing & Wellbeing Programme – 2009 – Canlive Trust
- ASIST Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training 2009
- Facilitation Skills Training – 2010 – Well Beyond Recovery
- Intentional Peer Support Training 2010/11 – Comcare
- Bioregulatory Medicine – 2010/12 – Brauer Professional
- Member of Reflexology NZ & the Southern Reflexology Group
- Member of the International Council of Reflexologists
- Member of Reiki NZ